Advertised pricing excludes applicable taxes, title and licensing, dealer set up, destination fromfactory to dealer or reconditioning and are subject to change without notice. Pricing may exclude anyadded parts, accessories or installation unless otherwise noted. Sale prices include all applicableoffers. Some financing options can affect price in lieu of any rebates Contact dealer for details.
2017 BMW R1200R
From design concept to the new R1200R.
The new R1200R marks the status quo in terms of aesthetic appeal, dynamic performance and design. When our developers put forward their visions in the BMW Concept Roadster, this bike was their greatest source of inspiration. And that's no surprise - after all, the new R1200R is a powerful all-rounder that combines comfort, athletic flair and design in an entirely unique way.
Compact, tight, muscular - the bike's new design sets it clearly apart from its predecessor. The upside down telescopic fork based on the pattern of the S1000RR not only gives this powerhouse a striking appearance but also ensures stability and precise handling. With the sharply drawn lines along the fuel tank and the seamless transition across the seat to the rear, this roadster has a look that perfectly matches the way it rides.
Giving justice to riders’ individual preferences even better, the new R1200R is available not only in the basic paint finish racing red uni but also in two additional style variants: a sporty light white uni / Cordoba blue (frame colour and tape) and exclusive Thunder grey metallic with a golden fork (only available with the option Dynamic ESA).
The R1200R is ahead of its time in terms of technology, too. A total of 125 hp provides supreme propulsion in the new R1200R. Together with the riding modes that can be accessed at the press of a button, the optionally available traction control (DTC) puts this power effectively onto the asphalt. The rider has everything in view and under control thanks to the redesigned and expanded instrument panel. This sits on a bridge made of high-end aluminium in the cockpit.
Outstanding individual flair.
The range of fittings available for the R1200R is especially impressive: tank rucksack, BMW Navigator V and four different windshields are the perfect preparation for a big tour, while the latest generation of the optional Dynamic ESA further increases riding dynamics in the R1200R. Innovative features such as the preparation for the navigation unit with multi-controller, Shift Assistant Pro and Keyless Ride turn a sports-style roadster into a genuine all-rounder. There are also a range of painstaking details such as the milled hand lever and rider footrests or the crash bar in electropolished stainless steel which strike a perfect balance between functional tuning and visual customization. The optional equipment riding modes Pro contains ABS Pro and Dynamic Brake Light (homologation in progress).
The roadster revolution is beginning.
- Type: Air/liquid-cooled four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- Bore x stroke: 101 mm x 73 mm
- Capacity: 1,170 cc
- Rated output: 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic intake pipe injection
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
- Maximum speed: Over 125 mph (200 km/h)
- Fuel type: Unleaded super, octane number 95 (RON)
- Alternator: Three-phase alternator 508 W (nominal power)
- Battery: 12 V / 12 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Oil lubricated clutch, hydraulically operated
- Gearbox: Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Drive: Shaft drive
- Frame: Two-section frame consisting of front- and bolted on rear frame, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: Telescopic Upside-Down fork; stanchion diameter 45 mm
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
- Suspension travel front / rear: 5.5 in. / 5.5 in. (140 mm / 140 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.7 in. (1,515 mm)
- Castor: 4.9 in. (125.6 mm)
- Steering head angle: 62.3 deg.
- Wheels: Cast aluminum wheels
- Rim, front: 3.50 x 17 in.
- Rim, rear: 5.50 x 17 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70 ZR 17
- Tires, rear: 180/55 ZR 17
- Brake, front: Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral), disengageable
- Length: 85.3 in. (2,165 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 34.7 in. (880 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 51.2 in. (1,300 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 31.1 in. (790 mm) (rider seat low*/high* 760 / 820 mm) *OE
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight: 70.1 in. (1780 mm) (rider seat* low*/high* 1720 / 1835 mm) *OE
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled: 508 lb. (231 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 990 lb. (450 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 483 lb. (219 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 4.7 gal. (18 L)
- Reserve: approx. 1 gal. (4 L)
- Engine Type
- Four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- 1,170 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 101 mm x 73 mm
- Compression Ratio
- 12.5 : 1
- Fuel System
- Electronic intake pipe injection
- Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Final Drive
- Shaft drive
- Front Suspension
- Telescopic Upside-Down fork; stanchion diameter 45 mm
- Rear Suspension
- Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
- Front Brakes
- Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear Tire
- 180/55 ZR 17
- 59.7 in. (1,515 mm)
- Seat Height
- 31.1 in. (790 mm)
- 4.9 in. (125.6 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.7 gal. (18 L)
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 508 lb. (231 kg)
- Thunder Grey Metallic, Racing Red, Light White/Cordoba Blue